“And he was teaching daily in the temple. The chief priests and the scribes and the principal men of the people were seeking to destroy him, but they did not find anything they could do, for all the people were hanging on his words.”
The people were hanging on his words
The words of Jesus were unique. When officers were sent by the Jews to arrest Him, they returned empty handed saying, “No one ever spoke like this man!” In Luke 4, after He stood in the synagogue to read the scriptures, it says, “All spoke well of him and marveled at the gracious words that were coming from his mouth.”
Jesus’ words were the very word of God. His words were truth, they were compassionate, they were merciful, they were perfect.
Hang on to His words. Cling to His promises. Hold fast to what He has written down for us. Abide in the truth of His unconditional love. Adhere to the promises of the eternal life He has promised through faith in Him.
- John 8:31-32 “So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'”
- 1 John 2:24 “Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father.”
- Colossians 3:16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
- 2 Timothy 3:14 “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it.”
Truly, abiding in His words, clinging to His promises, is in fact holding fast to Him.
- John 15:4 “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.”
- John 15:9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.”
- 1 John 2:28 “And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.”
- Jude 1:20-21 “But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.”
- Colossians 2:6-9 “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.”
“Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.”
Trust in Him
God promises He will take care of us. He tells us He is the Good Shepherd. He is faithful; we ought to trust Him
We are often prone to doubt Him because we don’t always understand what He wants to lead us in and how He wants to do it. Our thoughts are not His thoughts neither are our ways His ways.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light
“He leads us in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.” The Lord is determined to lead us in the paths of righteousness. He promises He will never let us go. As the psalm before us says, “He will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light.” It is simply our job to trust in Him; to commit our way to Him who is faithful and able to carryout what He has promised.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 “Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Philippians 1:6 “I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:4, 8 “I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus…who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
He leads us in truth.
We are quick to think of God’s leading in terms of the course of our life. Where He leads we will follow. The Lord is absolutely able to lead us through life, and He does. But I believe God is much more concerned about the conduct of our life. He leads us in truth–His word is truth.
- Psalms 25:5 “Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.”
- John 16:13 “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.”
- Psalms 32:8 “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.”
Let us commit our ways to Him who is faithful to lead us and faithful to keep us. As Abraham, the father of faith, let us not weaken in faith or let any distrust make us waver concerning the promise of God, but grow strong in our faith giving glory to God, being fully convinced that God was able to do what he has promised (Romans 4:19-21).