“Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.”
The words of our mouth are powerful.
- Proverbs 15:4 “A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.”
- Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.”
- James 3:5 “The tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell.”
Always be gracious
If everything you say is always full of grace, if every word from your mouth is laced with it, you’ll always have the right answer.
The untamable tongue
It’s easy to say, “From now one, I’ll speak with grace;” the problem is, the tongue is uncontrollable.
- James 3:2, 8-12 “We all stumble in many ways, and if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. No human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so..”
Trust in God
It is impossible for you to get your tongue under control. What you need to do–what we all need to do–is trust the Lord. We should pray like David did in the Psalms, “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!” (Psalms 141:3).
Every word from His mouth is perfect. Every word from His mouth is full of grace. With He and His Holy Spirit dwelling within us, we can trust Him to speak through us.
- Psalms 45:2 “You [speaking of Christ] are the most handsome of the sons of men; grace is poured upon your lips; therefore God has blessed you forever.”
- John 7:46 “The officers answered [concerning Jesus], ‘No one ever spoke like this man!'”
- Luke 4:22 “All spoke well of him and marveled at the gracious words that were coming from his mouth. And they said, ‘Is not this Joseph’s son?'”
If you have trouble summoning gracious words by your self, ask God to do it through you. Ask Christ to fill your mouth with words of grace through His Holy Spirit and you will find that His Word is always the answer perfect for any occasion.
1 Thessalonians 2:13
“We also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.”
You received the Word of God
If we have received the written word of God, or the spoken word of God, what we have received is the Living Word: Jesus Christ. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. …And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
Jesus Christ is the Word of God. Receiving Him has caused us to pass from death to life and has given us a new birth into His family.
- John 1:11-13 “He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”
- 1 Peter 1:23 “You have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God.”
- 1 John 5:1 “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God….”
Which is at work in you believers
We have been born, not of a perishable seed, an inanimate seed, or a lifeless seed, but of the imperishable, living word of God. He is at work in us.
- Philippians 2:13 “It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”
- Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- Hebrews 13:21 “[May the God of peace] equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever.”