“The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man, and he was in the house of his Egyptian master. His master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD caused all that he did to succeed in his hands. So Joseph found favor in his sight and attended him, and he made him overseer of his house and put him in charge of all that he had.”
The LORD was with Joseph
The Christian’s greatest joy is knowing that his God is with Him. What other god would humble himself to seek the companionship of his servant? What other god would co-labor with those whom he sent to do his work? The Lord alone is God, there is none besides Him, and He has given us overwhelming promises of His perpetual presence.
- Hebrews 13:5 “He has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.'”
- Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- Psalms 37:28 “The LORD loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever.”
- Genesis 28:15 “Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go…. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
His master saw that the LORD was with Him
God’s presence among His saints is visible to those who are near to them. God is with us, we radiate Him, He is revealed through us as we co-labor with Him.
- Titus 2:9-10 “Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.”
- Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
- Philippians 2:13-15 “It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:5-6 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”
We, even more so than Joseph, can be confident of the Lord’s presence. We have His Word with us always, both Living and written. Let us then rejoice in our relationship with God through Christ–that we have been reconciled to God through Christ’s blood so as to never be separated from Him. Having His presence with us always, let us adorn His doctrine and shine His light so that He can be seen, recognized, and received by those who do not yet know Him.