“Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.” (Romans 6:12-14)
Though some might conclude that our release from the law gives us freedom to sin, the truth is, it gives us freedom from sin.
“The power of sin is the law.” (1 Corinthians 15:56)
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
You were bought with a price
You belong. You are the property of somebody and as such you are linked with somebody, you are classified as a part of something, you are accepted by somebody. If you were owned be a man, this would be a terrible thing. Where men are owned by other men there is oppression and abuse.
But we are owned by God. We were purchased by Him with the precious blood of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God without spot or blemish.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19 “You were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.”
- Acts 20:28 “The church of God, [He] obtained with his own blood.”
You are valuable
If in God’s sight Jesus is more precious than any other thing, if Jesus Christ’s blood was of surpassing value to the Father (and it was), then we can know that we are that precious to Him. He did not withhold even His only son to make us His own. To say we are valuable to Him is a dramatic understatement. We are priceless to Him.
You are His
Let this truth sink deep into your heart. Let it comfort you. After it has comforted you, let it instruct you. The verse before us, and the context of this verse, teach us how we should live in light of the fact that God purchased us.
You belong to the Lord as a sheep to his shepherd. You are His people, His own cherished possession.
- Psalms 100:3 “Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.”
- Psalms 79:13 “But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise.”
- Psalms 95:7 “For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.”
- Ezekiel 34:31 “You are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord GOD.”
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”
- John 10:11-14 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me.”