Labor for What Truly Satisfies
“Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.”
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread?
In John chapter 6 we read about a crowd of people who were following Jesus, not because they believed in Him necessarily, but because He fed them physically. It says there, “Jesus answered them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal;'” John 6:26-27.
Do not expend all of your effort in the pursuit of physical things. Do not exert yourself in toil for things that cannot satisfy. On the contrary, be diligent to seek the food which does not perish. Seek the Bread of Life.
- John 6:32-35; “Jesus then said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.’ They said to him, ‘Sir, give us this bread always.’ Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.'”
Listen diligently to me…Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live
The only thing that will ever truly satisfy us is God Himself. We were created for fellowship with Him and will find our true belonging, our only true contentment, when we turn our ear to Him and come to Him.
- Psalms 63:5-8; “My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”
- Psalms 65:4; “Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!”
- Psalms 107:8-9; “Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.”
- Jeremiah 31:12-14; “They shall come and sing aloud on the height of Zion, and they shall be radiant over the goodness of the LORD, over the grain, the wine, and the oil, and over the young of the flock and the herd; their life shall be like a watered garden, and they shall languish no more. Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance, and the young men and the old shall be merry. I will turn their mourning into joy; I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow. I will feast the soul of the priests with abundance, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, declares the LORD.”
- Jeremiah 31:25; “I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.”