Walking by the Spirit
“If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.”
We live by the Spirit
It is the Holy Spirit that has given us life. When we first believed in God through Christ, we passed from death into life. The power that raised us up is the Holy Spirit.
- John 6:63; “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”
- John 1:12-13; “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.”
- Romans 8:11; “If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.”
Let us also walk by the Spirit
The Spirit is the means by which we became alive. Let it also be the means by which we live and walk. We received the Spirit by faith, let us also walk in Him by faith.
Walking by the Spirit isn’t referring to proximity like walking near the Spirit. It means that we walk in the power of the Spirit just as we were born again by the power of the Spirit. If it is in the same way, let us remember how we were born again. Was it a result of our effort? Or, was it by simply believing?
- Galatians 3:1; “O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain–if indeed it was in vain? Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith–just as Abraham ‘believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness’?”
- Romans 1:17; “The righteous shall live by faith.”
- Colossians 2:6-7; “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.”