Disquieted One: God will Establish You
“O afflicted one, storm-tossed and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of agate, your gates of carbuncles, and all your wall of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.”
Does this text seem to address you by name? It does me. All of us, though in varying degrees and in various ways, are storm-tossed. We have good days, we have bad days. The ocean swells up and down; all through life we reel to and fro. We long to be at peace, we long to be stable.
- Psalm 42:5-6 “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.”
- Psalm 42:11 “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”
- Psalm 43:5 “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”
The Psalmist was one to admit the weakness of his heart and command himself to turn his eyes to the Lord. In the midst of a storm, he called out to the One who even the wind and the seas obey.
In righteousness you shall be established
“Just a I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt. Fightings and fears within, without; O Lamb of God I come! I come!”
When we come to the Lord, having been storm-tossed and afflicted, disquieted and unstable, He establishes us in righteousness–His righteousness.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 “The Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.”
- 1 Peter 5:10 “And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.”
- 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13 “May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.”